Why the Penguins are the most dangerous team in the East

Dogger

Original Source: http://www.pensburgh.com/2009/4/10/829869/why-the-penguins-are-the-most

No team should want to see Pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs...Probably not the second or third round either, and at the risk of pointing out some of the obvious, here's why:

--The Dan Byslma factor. It's widely known that the team turned around on a dime when the new coach stepped in. In the 24 games that Byslma's been behind the Penguins bench he is 17-3-4. That's a pace of 130 points over the entire season. Boston, the one seed, will finish the season with no more than 116 points; as the #2 seed Washington will end up with a maximum of 110. Of course you have to credit those teams for their consistency over the entire season, but there's little doubt if the Penguins had a full season with Byslma's aggressive system they'd be right there with them, if not ahead.

--Revamped defense. Under Michel Therrien the Pens were giving up 3.11 goals against per game. Ouch. Under Byslma, the Penguins are surrendering 2.45 goals against/game. Huge turnaroud there, the return of Sergei Gonchar probably had something to do with it too. Boston, with Vezina front-runner Tim Thomas has given up 2.35 goals/against, Washington is at 2.94 goals against, and New Jersey is at 2.51 goals/against.

--Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Currently first and third in the point race, and two of the top three offensive players in the league, no matter how you slice it. Plus they're the first 100 point scoring teammates in the league since the Pens had Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr pull the trick in 1995-96. As we've learned, simply having multiple 100 point scorers doesn't guarantee playoff success...The Pens have had this happen four times: winning the Cup once, losing in the conference championship once and getting to Round 2 twice.

--Scoring depth. Get past Crosby and Malkin and the Pens still have players that can hurt you. The Penguins have seven other forwards with 15 or more goals, and Sergei Gonchar has 7 goals in 25 games, on pace for it too. Boston has 9 players as well with 15+ goals, Washington has 6 amd New Jersey has 7. The Penguins have scored 261 goals on the season, more than any other team in the East except for the Caps (268).

--Marc-Andre Fleury. Since February 4th, here's MAF's stat-line: 18-5-4 (3 losses in shootout, which don't exist in playoffs)... 2.50 GAA, 93.1% save percentage. That's rounding into his 2007-08 playoff form of : 14-6, 1.97 GAA, 93.3% save percentage. Fleury was easily the best goalie in the Eastern Conference last spring, and he could very well be the best goalie in the East recently.

--Health and more depth. Most teams key players are healthy right now, and the Penguins are in good shape in that regard too. Miroslav Satan, Philippe Boucher and their combined 112 NHL playoff games are waiting in the wings too in case of injuries/ineffectiveness, a veteran luxury that not too many teams have.

--Experience. Hard to believe, but the once green Penguin nucleus is now the most grizzled group in conference. In the last two springs they've played 25 playoff games and earned 15 wins. Of the top seeds, New Jersey is next closest with 15 playoff games (6 wins) in the past two years, Boston and Washington have just seven games, both winning 3. The New York Rangers, it should be noted, have 20 playoff games of experience in this stretch, winning 11 times.

These factors are nice to have, but that alone won't earn victories when the games really start to count. Still, given the choice between having the above factors like the Penguins do, and not having them like the rest of the league doesn't, I'll take the hand Pittsburgh is working with right now. The Pens are confident, strong and playing like defending Conference champions even if their initial seed is going to be in the middle of the pack.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excuse me sadik. but i like hockey and the pens are my fave team lol. so you can just shove it :P they are gonna whoop some ass in the playoffs. :P thanks Dogger for that amazingly awesome post about the best team in hockey ^_^

Yesssssssssss now that's what I'm talking about.

there u go,another one who like the pens since they recruit that quebec guy mario lemieux.....

my question is,,, ,where they still your team between lemieux and crosby?

or yall sale out and only like the team of the month with the mvp player?

as a exxxemple= do u appreciate the caps as a team only since they draft ovechkin?

if u really wanna know about the pens.....they wont make it cuz they got shit in goal.

i know hes from quebec but still,fleury dont have whats needed to keep his team from loosing.

calgary is one of the team whos way more solid in your divission.and they got a goalie!!

ps=pens wont ever win as long as they got malkin and crosby in there team at the same time.

they need to trade one of those to get some team deepness.a dan boyle kinda of defenceman needed.chara,some GOOD second trio player,a friken goaler too!

so yea,thats where i shove it! hope it doesnt smell too bad!

Good at least a reply worth reading.

There is appriciation for other teams, but the thing is ... are they as fun to watch as the Pens?

where they still your team between lemieux and crosby?

You know what, i will admit that i started became a hockey fan during 2000 when i lived in Pittsburgh. Lemieux and Jagr were a big reason i became a fan because

1) they are a couple of the best players in history

2)Malkin and Crosby are the 1st teamates in the league to score 100+ points since Mario and Jagr

if u really wanna know about the pens.....they wont make it cuz they got shit in goal.

Yes an upgrade on goal would help. But as long as you can outscore your opponent, you get the win. With the top 2 of 3 scorers in the league you always have a shot to win on any given night as we have seen the last several weeks Plus check his stats again before calling him shit:

Since February 4th, here's MAF's stat-line: 18-5-4 2.50 GAA, 93.1% save percentage

so yea, thats where i shove it! hope it does'nt smell too bad!

Why don't you talk about how MTL is going to do this year? I've been waiting for that post.

well,having the top scorer in your team might help,but we all know that defence win championship.

so since 2000...what happen in the league...

1999?2000 New Jersey Devils (EC)

2000?01 Colorado Avalanche (WC)

2001?02 Detroit Red Wings (WC)

2002?03 New Jersey Devils (EC)

2003?04 Tampa Bay Lightning (EC)

2004?05 Not awarded because of the cancellation of the 2004?05 season.

2005?06 Carolina Hurricanes (EC)

2006?07 Anaheim Ducks (WC)

2007?08 Detroit Red Wings (WC)

as u can see,i fail to find any overpowerd ofence team winning the cup exept redwing and the avs in 2000,but even then the avs had the best goalies of all time(roy). all the other cup winner are built on team spirit,good work ethik and a awsome goalies!!!

awsome goaler....

new jersey= brodeur

avs= roy

lighning= kabibulin

duck=giguere.

average goaler....

huricanes= cam ward.

poor goalies

detroit= lagacee-osgood.

now lets take a look at the top score nhl player stat in 2000 as a exemple

Jaromir Jagr / Pit out in second round,

Joe Sakic / Col out first round

Patrick Elias / N.J. win the cup

Jason Alison / Bos not in playoff

Alexei Kovalev / Pit out in second round,

Martin Straka / Pit out in second round,

Pavel Bure / Fla out first round

Doug Weight / Edm out first round

Peter Forsberg / Col out first round

Zigmud Palffy / L.A. out first round

Luc Robitaille / L. A. out first round

Alexei Yashin / Ott out first round

Bill Guerin / Bos no playoff

Mike Modano / Dal in final cup

Alex Mogilny / N.J. won the cup

Pierre Turgeon / Stl out first round

Adam Oates / Wsh out first round

Petr Sykora / N.J. won the cup

Peter Bondra / Wsh out first round

Robert Lang / Pit out second round

Donald Audette / Buf out first round

Milan Hejduk / Col out first round

Brett Hull / Dal final for the cup

Brian Leetch / NYR out of playoff

Keith Tkachuk / Stl out first round

as u can see, the pens had 3 of the top 6 player in the league.....and didnt do shit.

the stanley cup in getting win by the team with a goalies,not a top scorer!

I see what your saying Sadik you wont do very well if you have shit in your goal but I agree with Dogger that if you have two top players that can score enough points that your shit goalie doesnt matter then wtf is wrong with that? Crosby and Maulkin work well together and have proven that you dont need a great goalie to win games. Would be nice if they upgraded their goal but I still love em.

Penguins all the way!!!! They might not always be the best but they are definitly the most fun to watch. To bad they are playing the Flyers first...:P I missed the first game cuz of work but the Pens won ( I like the Flyers too so its tearing me apart!! lol)

well,i can explain whats wrong with all that.

take a look at the conny smith trophy since 2000 ( mvp in playoff)

2000?01 Patrick Roy Colorado Avalanche G 3

2001?02 Nicklas Lidstrom Detroit Red Wings D 1

2002?03 Jean-Sebastien Giguere1 Anaheim, Mighty Ducks G 1

2003?04 BradBrad Richards Tampa Bay Lightning C 1

2004?05 NHL lockout

2005?06 CamCam Ward Carolina Hurricanes G 1

2006?07 ScottScott Niedermayer Anaheim Ducks D 1

2007?08 Henrik Zetterberg Detroit Red Wings C

so that make 3 goaler,2 defence and 2 foward.

lets take a look at those foward if u dont mind

richards finish 10th in the top score the season that he won the mvp.15 point behind the leader.

zetterberg finish 6 th on his mvp year.20 point behind the leader and 14 point behind malkin.

last year crosby finish top score,,,,but still got beat by a awsome goalie :P

and not only that,but the last top scorer who have won the cup is....Martin St. Louis in 03-04,but yet he was helped by the amazing khabybulin in the net.

so the bottom line is,,,,the pens will go as far as ther goaler lead them.

you can have all the great scorers you want but in the playoffs where you rarely get lots of goals your defence and goalie normally win the games for you the scorers help but without a good goalie you are not going anywhere fast maybe past the first round nothing else, don't forget in the playoffs players play more defensive then offensive

playoffs make or break goalies sometimes a decent goalie plays spectacular and sometimes a spectacular goalie plays decent, fluery so far is playing like a playoff goalie should, but if you want spectacular look at Luongo, GO CANUCKS GO :shock: the rest of the teams burn in Hell hehe :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so Round #2 = Pens Vs Caps. Probably the best matchup of the playoff's. Let's go to our expert panel.......

Dogger: Pens in 6

Jane: I agree with Dogger

Goofy: GO CANUCKS GO

Sadik: (Insert some philosophy regarding the goalie and why the Pens won't win .. blah blah blah)

You know the rest... ^_^