Upgrading...

oOoHeaDShoToOo

i was thinking about getting one of the new Intel Core i7 920 Processor the 2.66ghz one with a new Asus motherboard and 12 GB of ram i wanted to know if anyone has the I7 and what they think of them and if it would be a big upp from my Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz with 4GB... im current running on windows vista ultimate 64-bit with a GTX 280....the price the guy gave me after refunding other items was around $900 canadian...

I have the i7 920 OC to 3.3 Ghz with the Asus P6T Deluxe mobo....I like it :lol:

As far as comparison...check this out

http://financemanila.net/2008/11/intel-core-i7-leaps-over-core-2-duo-and-quad-core/

I think you'll like it myself....and it is easy to OC

Like Goofy tho....unless you want to do some XTREME video editing and rendering....12 gigs of RAM

is just a power trip for the ego :P

unless you want to do some XTREME video editing and rendering....12 gigs of RAM

is just a power trip for the ego :lol:

Actually RAM isn't going to help rendering. Maybe editing but not rendering. I've only seen it effectively used in virtualization such as the net admin at work has 16GB in his workstation running multiple VirtualPC and VMWare stations.

And last I heard 4GB was Vista's sweet spot for RAM.

its decided im getting

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thermaltake V1 AX 1366 (cpu cooler)

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK

and a 1000 watt psu

:>

who the hell is g skill ram?

would go with OCZ ram

I've got G.Skill, but Kingston would probably be the top for reliability, and as far as I've seen OCZ is just more expensive, not necessarily better (nor worse). Crucial would be another excellent brand.

What you're looking for in RAM is lower latency (when comparing between the same speed) and that G.Skill kit has a CAS of 7, and compared the cheapest OCZ kit of the same speed and latency, the G.Skill is about $40 cheaper.

Why a 1000 Watt PSU? That seems a tiny bit over kill unless you plan on running Quad SLI and sticking 4+ HD's in there.

What video card you going to run?

• 4 weeks later...