Vista Or Stay With Xp

oOoHeaDShoToOo

I was wondering what i should install for a operating system cause i deleted something i think

i shouldnt have.....

i wanted to know which would be better for gaming and performance my computer stats are

intel core 2 duo e8400 3.0ghz

evga nvidia geforce gtx 280

4gb of ram

terabyte hard drive

im going to be gettingone or the other tomorrow so some quick feedback would be awesome thanks

.ScoTiaN.

I'm stuck with Vista on my laptop, which it's bad for laptops with onboard graphics. It was excellent on my desktop though, for the short time I had it, but I quickly ditched it as it wouldn't let me organize the folders the way I liked and the fact that I have to click through 5 different things to get to something I could easily access in XP. I also had a couple driver issues as I have an older motherboard. Sure Vista x64 will recognize that full 4GB RAM, but unless you're doing virtual environments I haven't heard of anything that makes use of all that RAM.

In the end the only positive I could give it was that it looked nice. But if I wanted an amazing graphic desktop environment I'd switch to Linux.

just my opinion

the PC I just got has Vista...I was afraid at first with all that has been said about it....but..

I havent had any problems with it so far and I am kinda pleased with it....so I guess it isnt as

bad as I thought....and isnt DirectX 10 only supported with Vista...or has someone figured out

how to implement it into XP ...I know Microsoft wont do it because they want to push the sales

of Vista....but I heard at one time someone was trying to get it to XP...IDK....I just wish Vista wasnt

such a resource hog....

and isnt DirectX 10 only supported with Vista...or has someone figured out

how to implement it into XP ...I know Microsoft wont do it because they want to push the sales

of Vista....but I heard at one time someone was trying to get it to XP...IDK....

http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

As a support technician I had more issues with the lack of self administration. Even logging into the default Administrator account you still don't have access to some things. It's locked down more than it should be and quite frankly UAC is worthless as most users either get pissed off at it and hate Vista for it or turn it off rendering it useless.

As for being a resource hog SP1 already cut down on that somewhat, but SP2 should help even more. It seems SP2 has some pretty good things in store for Vista Laptops though.

Vista was only bad if you upgraded your system with it for there were hardly any drivers out there for the older hardware, if you got a new system when Vista came out your new hardware would have had the right drivers so you wouldn't have run into any of the major problems upgraders were running into

still wish Microcrap would stop making 5 different versions of their OS"s though make 2 versions one for home one for office therefore less confusing for ppl

We must be looking at different tweaks. The ones I'm talking about reduce Vista's resource usage, things like turning off Windows Defender which does a constant scan (unless your a noob and you actually get viruses and need that plus I believe it's uses up more resources than equivalent services such as Avast.) Turning off the indexing service which constantly monitors files, same with System Restore which I'm not sure but I think is a dynamic setup where it's constantly adding to the restore file in the background (not sure just what it sounds like.) Turning off the services will help with boot up time yes, and some will help with network transfer speed. I believe the Offline Replication Service or something like that is an unnecessary service too that is a constant resource drain. If you truly want to reduce resource usage turn off the Aero theme service and switch to Windows Classic. Of course then you lose the whole point of Vista, that it "looks pretty and that's about it." Vista is only useful right now for it's 64 bit versions and being able to recognize more than 4GB ram (of course you can tweak the memory addressing in 32 bit Vista to recognize 4GB plus GPU memory, I think it extends the physical addressing to 36 bits but it doesn't seem worth it.) XP x64 failed, if you think finding drivers for vista x64 is a nightmare, XP was worse. Besides what use do you have for 4GB+ of RAM if you're not doing virtual environments?

don't care if my background moves or not

Actually the moving backgrounds are part of Vista Ultimate, call Dreamscenes, which you probably have to have Aero turned on to use them (not sure never tried it without Aero.) They're pretty cool but yet again, aesthetics over functionality is not my thing.

• 5 weeks later...

It's a Western Digital Hard Drive (10,000 rpm), i went to install XP and it told me to fuck off ( i dont kno the exact terms it used ) said Xp wasnt compatible or some shit, so i went and bought Vista but i only got 2GB's of Ram so im waiting until I'm not lazy and buy 4GB's of Ram to Install it.