just doesnt make sense

Mcpepperson

I bought a new cpu heatsink/fan for my pc. i bought an arctic cooler freezer 7 pro. for some reason my cpu is running hotter :D when i had the stock hsf on it was running 46 47 48 @ idle and when underload 51 52. now with the new cooler its running 51 52 @ idle. Also my case displays temperatures cpu, hdd, system. my motherboard is a P5N-E SLI. I have two exhaust fans one is 120mm and one 40mm, my intake fans are one 120mm fan and two 40mm fans. any help is greatly appreciated

yeah all fans are running, according to speedfan speed01 and 02 are 100%, and in bios the cpu fan is running 2766 RPM. i played cod4 for 20 minutes and the temps got up to 56 celsius i have never seen it go up that high..the cooler also comes with mx-1 thermal compound pre applied. I have a q6600, dual 8800gt's running sli. nothing is overclocked all stock speed. If i put the stock heatsink/fan on do i have to reapply thermal paste? or should i just keep the new cooler and use a different type of thermal compound? im thinking of using arctic silver 5. thank you

Arctic Silver is the way to go, Most factory provided thermal paste fails hard.

If i put the stock heatsink/fan on do i have to reapply thermal paste? or should i just keep the new cooler and use a different type of thermal compound? im thinking of using arctic silver 5. thank

Yes, as a matter of fact, you should clean off the cpu surface with a Q-Tip / Paper towel, if you have some type of rubbing alcohol in your place dip the q-tip and clean the surface,that loosens the paste and then you can wipe it up with a papertowel. Most stock fans fail when compared to ones you can buy.

Odds are either, the paste is junk, or that when you applied the paste to the heatsink you either didn't apply enough or moved the heatsink around to much while trying to lock it in place (Tech Fact: When you allow air bubbles to form in thermal paste it ruins the efectiveness of the paste) usually this isn't the case. Soo get some artic-silver and re-attach your heatsink if it still happens then you know it is most likely the fan.

-Jp

jp, good sir, i will buy and try the arctic silver tomorrow. The heatsink already came with the paste applied to it and yes your right when i was trying to lock it in place i did move it around a lot. Also how come bios and speedfan are saying the cpu fan is spinning 27++ when the highest RPM the fan can go is 2500? Am i reading something wrong?